Sunday, September 21, 2014

REVIEW: The Elite by Kiera Cass

Publisher: HarperTeen
Released: April 23, 2013
336 pages
Source: Library

Rating: 


Description: Kiera Cass’s The Elite is a must-read for fans of dystopian fiction, fairy tales, and reality TV. This sequel to The Selection will enchant teens who love Divergent and The Bachelor.

In America Singer’s world, a bride is chosen for the prince through an elaborate televised competition. In the second book of the Selection series, America is one of only six girls left in the running. But is it Prince Maxon—and life as the queen—she wants? Or is it Aspen, her first love?

The Elite delivers the adventure, glamour, political intrigue, and romance readers of The Selection expect, and continues the love triangle that captivated them.
*from Amazon

My Review: This book was all I was hoping it would be. After reading The Selection, I wasn't sure how the rest of the series would measure up, and I was particularly worried about this one because I have had far too many run-ins with the dreaded MBS-- Middle Book Syndrome. Of course, that applies less here since I know there is a fourth book coming, but still-- one worries.

I find with a lot of books that I see the plot twists coming from a mile away, but Kiera Cass is particularly skilled at hiding them. I knew that something was coming because she is not at all shy with the plot twists, but the actual events surprised me again and again.

I know how the series ends, but I kept finding myself alternately flailing or gasping and being incredibly concerned with how certain events were playing out. More than once, I had to wonder whether a spoiler I'd heard was really true as the book seemed for all the world to be going in a different direction.

I was, once again, up into the late hours reading this book. I had to laugh when I read the author's note in the back because she made a comment about uncontrollable feelings and tweeting at 3 am, and it was actually 3 am when I got to the end of the book. (I held myself back from tweeting though, as I haven't set up a blog twitter yet.)

This book is definitely going into my buying list along with The Selection. I would advise everyone to read it because it is amazing and you will fall out of bed at 3 am because you can't control your emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment! I always reply.