Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: 10 Books that were Hard for Me to Read

This meme was created by The Broke and the Bookish.


Today's top ten is "Books that were Hard for Me to Read." These books were hard for different reasons, so I'll put some explanation after each one.

1. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
       This one I just absolutely loathed, but I had to read it for school, so I powered through.

2. It by Stephen King
        It was hard to read because I couldn't read it at night or alone. I could only read it during the day because it was so completely terrifying.

3. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
        It's hard to read when you're sobbing uncontrollably.

4. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
         DNF. I read the first five pages, closed it, and never opened it again. 

5. Guide de la France Mysterieuse, edit. Tchou
        This one is entirely in French, and my three years of high school French classes left me far from fluent.

6. The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
         DNF. I really didn't like the story, so I tabled it for later. I've since obtained my own copy (thanks, BookNut!) so I'll probably try again soonish.

7. Among the Free by Margaret Peterson Haddix
         This was just hard to read because reading it meant accepting that one of my favourite series by one of my very favourite authors was over. 

8. Coldspell Lullaby by Andrew Brown
          DNF. UGH. I couldn't stand the writing style, and the narrator's sexual fixation on the dead body within the first chapter severely skeeved me out.

9. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
           This book is lovely, and it wasn't hard to read until the moment, well, if you've read it you'll know. It was difficult to finish through my tears. (Similar story to Tfios.)

10. The Long European Reformation by Peter G. Wallace
            I had to read this book for a history class. The book was quite informational and as such, helpful for the class. I learned a lot from it, but the writing style was dull, circular, and difficult to get through. I ended up reading most of it standing so I wouldn't fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment! I always reply.