Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books for Readers Who Like Character-Driven Novels

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly post created by The Broke and the Bookish.


This week's post is Books for readers who like character-driven novels. I do enjoy character-driven novels, but I tend to lean toward plot-driven. (a lot of dystopians and mysteries are inherently plot-driven) As such, this was a little hard for me, but I've done my best.




1. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
This one's pretty much a gimme. After the inciting incident, it's all about a choice the main character has to make.



2. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The action in this book is almost entirely driven by the many characters.



3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Gatsby can make anything happen besides actually achieving his dream. (ouch)



4. Th1rteen R3asons Why by Jay Asher 
This one is kind of questionable. Technically, the plot is driven by a character, but the character is not the main character. Eh, I'm going to leave it. 



5. Going Bovine by Libba Bray
Super character-driven.



6. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Classic. Read it.



7. Canary by Rachele Alpine
This is maybe the newest book on the list, but I love it, and it's very character-driven.



8. Ten Kids, No Pets by Ann M. Martin
Character-driven for middle grades!



9. The Bluebird and the Sparrow by Janette Oke
Character-driven (maybe poorly driven) and sister drama. I got this one from my grandma several years ago.



10. Deadly Pink by Vivian Vande Velde
Even the things that the characters don't choose to happen are technically chosen by a character, because they chose to be in that situation. (It's kind of complicated to explain without spoilers-- just read it, okay?)

Do you have a favorite character-driven novel? Share it in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment! I always reply.