Wednesday, October 1, 2014

ARC REVIEW: Hit by Lorie Ann Grover

Publisher: Blink
Release Date: October 7, 2014
256 pages
Source: Street Team

Rating: 

Description: After receiving a full-ride scholarship to Mills College for Girls, it appears Sarah's future is laid out before her... at least until she walks into a poetry class led by Mr. Haddings, a student teacher from the nearby University of Washington. Suddenly, life on the UW campus seems very appealing, and Sarah finds herself using her poetry journal to subtly declare her feelings for Haddings. Convinced Mr. Haddings is flirting back, she sets off in the rain for school with a poem in her back pocket-- one that will declare her feelings once and for all.

Mr. Haddings has noticed Sarah's attention; the fallout from any perceived relationship with a student is too great a risk, and he has decided to end all speculation that morning.

But everything changes when Mr. Haddings feels a thud on his front bumper after glancing away from the road, and finds Sarah in the street with blood pooling beneath her.


My Review: I was sent this ARC as a member of the author's street team to provide an honest review.
I'd like to start by saying that I very much enjoyed the book. The story was compelling and the characters seemed fairly real and flawed. I really got the sense of how things would be in that situation. The author manages to make a story that stretches over 48 hours take up an entire novel without feeling overstretched.

The way the description reads, I got the impression that more of Sarah's life leading up to the accident would be covered than a few brief flashbacks. It still works, but I think that could have made the accident itself more compelling, rather than becoming more compelling after the fact.

However, there were some issues. The small grammar and spelling errors aren't surprising in an ARC, and they were fairly easy in most cases to overlook. Also, admittedly, I didn't care much for the ending. I thought it was strange the way certain characters were interacting, given the short time since the accident.

Overall, though, I liked it. The story pulled me in, and I read it in two sittings.

2 comments:

  1. I have a problem with almost everything Haddings says. I'm almost done with the book so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same. I loved Sarah's parts, but the book was knocked down a star for his existence.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Leave a comment! I always reply.