Wednesday, October 15, 2014

REVIEW: Doll Bones by Holly Black

Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Released: May 7, 2013
256 pages
Source: Library


Rating: 


Description: Zach, Poppy, and Alice have been friends forever. And for almost as long, they’ve been playing one continuous, ever-changing game of pirates and thieves, mermaids and warriors. Ruling over all is the Great Queen, a bone-china doll cursing those who displease her.

But they are in middle school now. Zach’s father pushes him to give up make-believe, and Zach quits the game. Their friendship might be over, until Poppy declares she’s been having dreams about the Queen—and the ghost of a girl who will not rest until the bone-china doll is buried in her empty grave.

Zach and Alice and Poppy set off on one last adventure to lay the Queen’s ghost to rest. But nothing goes according to plan, and as their adventure turns into an epic journey, creepy things begin to happen. Is the doll just a doll or something more sinister? And if there really is a ghost, will it let them go now that it has them in its clutches?


My Review: I liked this book, but it was just okay for me. I picked it up because anything by Holly Black deserved a read, and of course the cover is completely gorgeous. It's a middle-grade book, which for me is more of a concern than ya or adult novels.

I loved the premise, and it was well-written, but I kept hoping for more. I guess I expected this book to tip over into the paranormal genre more than it did. I think there was a lot of potential written in for it, but it wasn't carried through. I'm going to have to call Chekhov's gun on this one. (Sorry, I still love Holly Black!)

Zach, the main character, is likable, and the journey is interesting, but I wanted more about the doll.

I think some of my younger cousins would probably love it, though. It's also nice to see a standalone novel from Holly Black, since she writes a lot of series.

 Oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment! I always reply.