Sunday, October 12, 2014

REVIEW: The One by Kiera Cass

Publisher: HarperTeen
Released: May 6, 2014
336 pages
Source: Library


Rating: 


Description: The time has come for one winner to be crowned. When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown-- or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose-- and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.



My Review: Whew. I went to the library around 4h30 today, and I finished this book around 11h00. Admittedly, that doesn't sounds too impressive, but try to factor in that during that time I also went to the store, had dinner, ate a pint of ice cream (fight me), and watched not only the new episode of The Walking Dead, but also Talking Dead. Basically, I didn't get up from the couch once while I was reading this book.

Having read the other books, I knew how awesome this book would be, but it kind of blew me away. Since the internet is a sometimes cruel and unforgiving place, I had some major spoilers thrown at me about this book. I tried not to let it get to me, though.

This book took a vastly different path than I had been expecting. I thought I knew what would happen, and of course I was partly right (thanks, spoilers), but the way things unfolded was nothing I could have planned for.

It's so difficult reviewing the third novel in a series, because not only do I have to be cognizant of spoilers for this book, I have to be cognizant of spoilers for the first two, as well. I'll do my best.

As always, the characters are lovely and so very real. The plot moves in a realistic and fascinating way. The story pulls you in and doesn't let you go until you've high-fived the acknowledgements page and sat there for a few moments trying to comprehend that it's over.

Thank HEAVENS it's not really over. I don't know what I would do if this was the end. Maybe I would cry a little. I've become very invested in this story over the course of three books and two companion stories.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go pre-order The Heir, the fourth novel in the Selection series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment! I always reply.