Thursday, December 4, 2014

Review: Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis

Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Released: September 24, 2013
Source: mine (signed)
320 pages




Description: Teenage Lynn has been taught to defend her pond against every threat: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and most important, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty—or doesn't leave at all. Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. But when strangers appear, the mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won't stop until they get it. . . .

My Review:  SPOILERS (big ones)

I got this book at the Buckeye Book fair after my friend Erin assured me I had to read it. I had heard of it before, but never picked it up. But I bought it and got it signed by the author, who was lovely. (Thanks, Mindy McGinnis!)

I really strongly liked this book. There were a few things I disliked, which is why it has four stars when I kind of hand five-star reviews out like mints (guilty).

First, though, I'll tell you what I liked. The premise is realistic, and the characters are quite real. I can easily imagine Lynn growing up in this semi-apocalyptic world with her mom. The story moves along  fairly quickly, and I like how it gradually brings in more characters.

I did not, however, like how the book kind of brushed off some things I would have liked to see more in-depth. The epilogue hit me in the face like a wet sponge. That's less a mark on the author and more my needing to know what happened in-between, though. I'm not generally a huge fan of epilogues. I tend to pretend they didn't happen, sorry.

I wanted more for Lynn, too. She starts off so closed-off about emotions that she can shoot a man and drag his body into the field with zero remorse. I guess it's reasonable that she  would take a long time to change, but I hoped to see a little more before the end, or perhaps a big change and then a snap back after Eli dies, or after she shoots her father.

I guess really what I want is another book, because I don't feel like I got enough from this one. It left Lynn's story feeling unfinished, but I guess that's okay because there is already another book! I have it in my possession from the library, so hopefully it ties up some loose ends I've found.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment! I always reply.