Friday, February 6, 2015

Reader Quirks: Mispronunciation


When I was little, I read ALL THE TIME. I read way above my grade level, and as a result, I encountered a lot of big words that I didn't hear used in speech. This led to an unfortunate symptom of my reading: embarrassing mispronunciation. 

I STILL read "misled" as "MIZE-uld" because that's how I thought it was said when I was little. I didn't get my first dictionary until my seventh birthday (I had very understanding friends) so through elementary and middle school, I had some trouble. I knew what the words meant and how they were spelled, but not the proper pronunciation. Even after I learned the proper pronunciations, some things were hard to shake.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment! I always reply.