Monday, February 9, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Things I Dislike When it Comes to Romances in Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly post created by The Broke and the Bookish.


1. Insta-love
    It takes longer than a day to fall in love with someone. Sure, you can be infatuated, but actually in love? No.

2. Love Triangles
    When a character is stuck between two people, it's irritating. When the character is actively dating both of them secretly, it's gross. Go for the consensual polyamory or make a decision.

3. One-night-stand Turns Into Love
    Lies and disrespect are not good building blocks for love.

4. Queer Is The Only Characteristic
    This is not me disliking queer characters; this is me disliking it when an author has a queer character and gets LAZY. Sometimes, an author will make their queerness the only thing that matters about them, which is just insulting.

5. Romance Tumor
    This is when a romance starts out as a sub-plot, but then takes over the main plot like a tumor.

6. Romanticized Abuse
    Abusive relationships are NOT romantic, at ALL. EVER.

7. Deeply Flawed Priorities
    "I could die, but hell, it's more important to see this boy I've been interested in for a whole week." What the heck? NO.

8. Hormone Override
    No one is ever SO full of hormones that they can't control themselves at all. It doesn't happen, and I'm tired of reading it. It's just an excuse so the hero/heroine doesn't have to feel guilty.   

9. The Only Exception
    "I hate all men! ... oooh, except for this cute one." STOP
    "I hate all lawyers! ... but this one is DIFFERENT." NO

10. Wafflers
      Enough with the back-and-forth. Go after someone or don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment! I always reply.