Monday, March 2, 2015

Writing Wednesday #12

Today, I'm going to talk a little bit about another side of my writing. 
You all know that I have a novel out, and I'm still writing novels, but I'm also a lyricist. 
I'm in a band, Eminent Gangsters, and I write parodies of popular songs. I take a song, scrap the lyrics, and write new ones about history.
Writing parody lyrics is so fun, and much faster than writing novels! It can be tricky though, so here are a few words of advice.

1. Hum the tune until you have it memorized.
Usually, I get ideas for songs by humming them until something pops into my head. If you can't get the original lyrics out of your head, it won't work.

2. Pull out that thesaurus!
You might REALLY want to use a certain word in your parody. Get over it. You need to use words that work with the cadence of the song, so you're probably going to have to adjust wording accordingly.

3. Know thy audience.
If you're writing a parody for your friends, feel free to use all the inside jokes you want. But if it's for the general public, or you don't have an audience yet, you should shy away from jargon or inside jokes.

4. Consider a tempo change.
Some songs can change their entire feel with a tempo change. This opens up a lot of opportunities with parodies, and can be an interesting element.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment! I always reply.