Sunday, May 3, 2015

REVIEW: The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot

Publisher: HarperTeen
Released: September 19, 2000
Source: Library
Pages: 240





Description: She's just a New York City girl living with her artist mom...

News Flash: Dad is prince of Genovia. (So that's why a limo meets her at the airport!)

Downer: Dad can't have any more kids. (So no heir to the throne.)

Shock of the Century: Like it or not, Mia Thermopolis is prime princess material.

Mia must take princess lessons from her dreaded grandmére, the dowager princess of Genovia, who thinks Mia has a thing or two to learn before she steps up to the throne.

Well, her father can lecture her until he's royal-blue in the face about her princessly duty--no way is she moving to Genovia and leaving Manhattan behind. But what's a girl to do when her name is Princess Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo?

My Review: I have always loved the two Princess Diaries movies, and I knew there were books behind them, but I never picked them up. My old library didn't have them, but the library in my new town does, so it was about time.
I had NO IDEA how far the movies deviated from the book! I guess Anne Hathaway has a bit of a problem with being in bad adaptations *cough cough* Ella Enchanted *cough cough*. The grandmother is completely different, Mia is fluent in French, the father is alive, they live in Manhattan! After a few pages, I decided to completely let go of the movie as its own separate story that just happens to be similar. That turned out to be the right choice, because this book is amazing.
I'm going to have to read the rest of the series and evaluate at the end, so I'll keep this short.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment! I always reply.