Saturday, May 30, 2015

REVIEW: Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins

Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Released: April 8, 2014
Source: Library
Pages: 352



Description: Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him--and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.

My Review: I am so upset with myself for not having read this earlier. This is probably the third time I've checked it out of the library. (I tend to be fairly optimistic with myself about how much reading I can do, and as a result I end up checking out two or three too many.) Anyway, this time I got to it, and I am so glad that I did.

The characters are fairly believable, and I'm fairly certain I actually may have gone to high school with a few of them. I really ended up caring about them-- even the ones you only see for a few moments.

This book has all the elements that I love. Violence, magic, myth, dark pasts that aren't talked about, romance that doesn't get too mushy, and fancy events! I put it right on my goodreads wish list shelf. (A few months ago, I would have just ordered it, but I'm trying to do better.)

Of course, there were a few issues, as there are with any book, but I didn't dwell on them. There are a few moments I thought were a bit unnecessary or rushed (there was alarmingly little fallout from the principal's office visit) but in the end, I didn't really mind.

Also, apparently there is a sequel? I was unaware of its existence, but I guess I'll have to check it out. I'll probably take my time, though. While of course I want more of these characters, I actually felt the book ended well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment! I always reply.